Saturday, May 15, 2010

Let the Chase Begin

A sense of apprehension could be felt among the Valpo met majors as we made final preparations for our 11 day storm chase. I am very excited about this year's chase. Last year there was next to nothing to chase, but this year the likelihood for significant convection looks to be much greater.

We spent a few hours hooking up our CB radios, filling the helium tanks for our weather balloons, checking out the laptops and software, and even setting up a camera in the Pilot (our lead vehicle, a Honda Pilot) to document the chase! A cold wind and stratus overhead kept some of the excitement subdued, but I could tell everyone was excited for the next week and a half.

The models show a wave developing in the four corners region and moving towards the plains under the upper level ridge. This could give a decent set up for chasing along the rockies for the beginning of next week. Decent instability and moderate shear could permit some supercells, but the details of where the most favorable environment will be seen as the time gets closer.

So all that is left to do is pack up the rest of the things in my room and get a good night of sleep. Sleep is something that I, as well as everyone else, will be lacking.

I will try to make posts nightly with pictures, but to follow my activity throughout the day you can follow my twitter at evan_bentley. I will update that as we make moves on the road.

Keep your fingers crossed for a good chase!

No comments:

Post a Comment